Product Review: Superdrug Own Brand Basics

Before I begin, apologies for the hiatus - if you follow me on Twitter, you'll be aware that uni and my dissertation have pretty much taken over my entire life, leaving next to no time for blogging. But I've squeezed in this little post, and hope to get a few more in here and there over the next few weeks.

I've seen a few things getting a bit of hype recently, and among those things are some products from Superdrug's own range. As a general rule, I think quite a lot of us are own-brand snobs and refuse the value option for something with a renowned name, or sleeker packaging: both which generally equal a higher price tag. But sometimes, when funds are low, you buy into the basic range, and sometimes, like me, you can be very pleasantly surprised...

 Top, L-R: Raspberry and Macadamia Nut conditioner and shampoo, Fruit Source Strawberry and Raspberry Shower Gel, Vitamin E Hot Cloth Cleanser, Vitamin E Exfoliating Facial Scrub
Bottom, L-R: Vitamin E Facial Cleansing Wipes, Vitamin E Nourishing Night Cream, Vitamin E All Over Body Cream

These are just some of the bits on offer at Superdrug, and all of them are an absolute steal! To make it even better, these delicious-smelling products are 100% vegetarian and vegan, and Superdrug has a complete ban on animal testing on all of its own-brand products. If you need any more convincing, read on...

First up, shampoo and conditioner. Normally, I'm a firm believer in 'you get what you pay for', and with this shampoo and conditioner being 99p each, or 2 for £1.49, I wasn't convinced. However, I was persuaded by the price and my lack of funds, but also by my mother-in-law, who recently went vegan and swears by this stuff. So I took the plunge, figuring if they were bad, then at least it wasn't a lot of money wasted. But I was very pleasantly surprised. The smell of raspberry and macadamia nut is sweet and warm, and not too sickly or overpowering. The shampoo is great; it's very jelly-like in consistency, but lathers up really nicely and leaves my hair feeling clean and soft. The conditioner, admittedly, isn't too fantastic, but it isn't bad. My hair is very coarse and thick (and recently dyed), so maybe it's just not man enough for my mane, but I wouldn't pass it by if you're on a budget!

The strawberry and raspberry shower gel is an absolute treat too. I usually use Original Source, which are also vegan and not tested on animals, and this is like Superdrug's own version. The scent is punchy and sweet and lingers long after your shower, and lathers up wonderfully - although it does turn your skin a little pink! It's a bargain at 99p, and currently 2 for £1.55, so I'll definitely be stocking up on these, and trying out a few more scents from the range.

The Vitamin E Hot Cloth Cleanser is something that's been mentioned a lot on beauty blogs recently, and with good reason. I've been using this for about six months now, and can't fault it at all. I bought it as a cheap alternative to the very pricey Liz Earle, and I'm so glad I did! It's a large bottle of very thick, very creamy cleanser and a fresh white muslin cloth, all for £4.99. The cleanser smells utterly gorgeous, good enough to eat, and I always get pleasure out of using this cleanser. Smooth it all over your face, spend a few minutes working it in and then wipe off with the muslin, soaked in hot water. This cleanser leaves my skin incredibly clean, feeling smooth and looking bright. Will definitely be repurchasing this!

A facial scrub is an essential part of your skincare regime, and it's important to find one that suits your skin type. My skin is quite sensitive and soft, so I don't like anything too harsh. For example, I love the smell of St Ives' face scrub, but it's too gritty and harsh, and leaves my skin feeling raw. I picked this Vitamin E Exfoliating Facial Scrub on a whim and haven't looked back. It's a creamy consistency, packed with small beads and large flakes of oatmeal, which serve to slough off any rough skin with no irritation. The smell, again, is just lovely, and I find that using this twice a week is enough to keep any dry patches at bay. I've just finished my current tube, so I will have to repurchase while it's on the incredible 2 for £3.99 deal (it's usually priced at £2.99!)

This next one is a product I don't use anymore, but have done in the past. The Vitamin E Cleansing Facial Wipes are great if you're in a rush. Personally I don't use wipes anymore, I prefer to take the long route and either use the hot cloth cleanser, or a normal cleanser and toner, to get my skin feeling squeaky clean. I would use this again for going on holiday or weekends away, and if you prefer wipes then they are a great budget buy. 25 wipes for £2.59 is a price to rival the likes of Simple and Garnier, which usually sit around £3.99 for the same amount.

I have a deep love affair with the Body Shop Vitamin E range, and recently ran out of my supply of day and night creams. I decided that I didn't have £30-odd to renew them, and went looking for a budget alternative. The 2 for £3.99 deal was too good to resist, and the Nourishing Night Cream duly found its way onto my dressing table. While it hasn't overtaken my beloved Body Shop night cream, it is a great replacement in the meantime. The smell is luscious (almondy, sweet - mmm....) and the texture is lovely; it looks like it will be dense and viscous, but actually is very light and sinks in quickly, despite being rich and creamy. It hasn't irritated my skin whatsoever and I think that I will be trying the day cream next, seeing as my budget still won't stretch to the £10-a-pot Body Shop!

Lastly, the Vitamin E All Over Body Cream. Body lotion is an essential for me post-shower, as my skin can get really tight and dry without it. I'm definitely not loyal to any particular type or brand of body lotion, as I tend to just buy whatever is on a deal or promotion at the time. This body cream was a last-minute buy without much thought, as I wanted to use that famous 2 for £3.99 deal again, and couldn't think of anything except lotion that I needed. I'm so glad I bought it, as it's a bargain anyway, and definitely something I can see myself repurchasing. The tub is huge at 475ml, and has lasted me about two months so far. Like the night cream, the texture is rich but light, and sinks into the skin quickly. It leaves my skin very smooth and soft, and lasts for a couple of days too. I'm repeating myself but the smell again is just delicious, which is one of my favourite things about the range as a whole. For a cheap and cheerful body lotion, you can't go wrong with this one!

I don't really have a bad word to say about the whole of the Vitamin E range, or Superdrug's own-brand products as a whole. Obviously they aren't the best on the market, but for the price, I think they really can hold their own and stand up to their competitors sitting around the same kind of price point. I also think that it says an awful lot that such a purse-friendly range can work so well, smell so good and be so affordable, without involving any cruel treatment of animals or animal products; something which a lot of bigger brand seem to struggle with. Popular brands that test on animals include L'Oreal, Aussie, P&G, Johnson's, Bumble and Bumble, Clinique, Estee Lauder, Dove, Garnier, Herbal Essences, Jo Malone, Jurlique, Kerastase, L'Occitane, Kiehl's, Lancome, La Roche Posay, MAC, Max Factor, Maybelline, Ojon, Redken, Revlon, Vichy... The list sadly goes on!

I'm not one to preach, but since my boyfriend's family went vegan, my eyes have definitely been opened to the cruelty these brands allow and utilise, and I was shocked at some of the brands that have kept so quiet about animal testing! I've used many of these brands in the past but in the future, I will definitely be looking at more animal-friendly brands. Sadly, this means no MAC lipsticks, no La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo, no Redken shampoos or any of the other 'blogger must-haves' - I think beauty is not beautiful if cruelty has been involved in getting you there! Superdrug's own products are just the start, and I will definitely be investing and researching more in the future, and I hope you will too...


5 comments:

  1. This was a great post!

    I have a giveaway on my blogger if you would like to enter?

    www.abbeylovesbeauty1.blogspot.com

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. the Vitamin E face mask is a god send isn't it! I just couldn't justify spending so much on the Liz Earle one so it was a saviour. The only thing I don't like about it is I find that in the morning I have loadsa the stuff in my eyelashes and it's all gloopy :S
    Kerry | Kerralina x
    P.S. I'm having a giveaway if you wanted to take a peek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this - goes to show you don't always have to splash the cash in order to get results :)

    Love Zoe x

    www.facevaluebeautyblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makeup revolution and W7 are cruelty free.

    ReplyDelete

 
Follow on Bloglovin
Follow Me on Pinterest