Daily Makeup and Face of The Day



Life has been so full of uni work lately (advice for Honours year? Don't do it!) that I haven't really been going out too much, and there hasn't been much of a need for makeup. However, I like to make an effort to not be a complete slob just because I'm in the house (that and I have a few spots...) and I've been favouring a light and natural look for indoors and popping out to the shops.

I've been using this Johnson's Oil Balancing Light Day Fluid for a few weeks now, I actually bought it last year but didn't really use it. It's now serving as a nice substitute until payday when I can repurchase my beloved Body Shop moisturiser. I haven't actually got oily skin, just sometimes a bit on my T-zone, but this quite a nice, light mattifying moisturiser. I've been following it up with w7 Prime Magic Camera Ready Colour Correcting primer; overall I'm very pale but I have redness around my nose and chin, and this green primer is great at neutralising the redness to create an even base.

My foundation is my beloved Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid. I've been using this for about four-five years and it's my favourite for smoothing the skin and blurring out imperfections. I'm thinking about trying out Bourjois Healthy Mix soon, but I know I will always come back to this! Concealer has been very cheap and cheerful of late; this is the MUA Cover & Conceal liquid concealer, which is about £2.50. I prefer a liquid concealer and so far, I'm impressed with this. It blends incredibly well and does a great job at covering up any dark areas, redness or the dreaded breakouts. It's quite similar to my other favourite, Collection's Illuminating Touch, but it does give better coverage and is a bit thicker without being cakey. I'm trying to wean myself off of powder but so far, so unsuccessful. Instead of only using it on some areas, I've decided now to keep using it all over but just much less of it! My weapon of choice of Collection's Sheer Loose Powder in Translucent, which is great for evening and setting the base without adding any more colour.

My new love affair is powder highlighters. I experimented with liquid highlighters years and years ago (MeMeMe's Beat The Blues was a favourite), but as you probably know, they just don't work with powdered skin, and often manage to remove foundation too! Not ideal. This highlighter is the second in my collection; the other is a discontinued Collection peachy-gold shimmer brick, hunted down from Amazon. This one is MUA's new Undress Your Skin highlighter, which is a lovely soft pink shimmer. It's very similar to the shade of Topshop's Crescent Moon, without the price tag, as this one retails for just £3. I sweep on a small amount with a large, fluffy brush and I find it really picks up my skin and stops everything look too matte and dull. MUA features in my blusher collection too - while I'm currently loving Sleek's Rose Gold for evening, MUA's blush in No.1 is a lovely daytime shade. It's very peachy and subtle, and just adds a nice flush of health without being too over the top.

Finally eyes and eyebrows. I brush through my eyebrows with an eyebrow brush, and then use an angled eyeliner brush and MUA's Heaven and Earth palette to fill in any gaps. I used to use a pencil, but looking back, this was probably a bit too harsh and I spent a lot of time blending it out and trying to make my brows look more natural. The bonus to using an eyeshadow palette is definitely the range of shades, so I can blend a few to get a natural colour. I then use the bright pearl shade on the inner corner of my eye, blend a champagne shade over the lid and then work a darker toffee colour on the outer third, blending it to make a softer, smudgier look. I finished off with my favourite mascara, Bourjois Volume Clubbing, which is fabulous for creating thick lashes with just a few strokes!

One quick slick of Barry M in 54,  a lovely shimmery coral, and I'm ready for a day of dissertation... Oh great.

What are your daily staples?

1 comments:

 
Follow on Bloglovin
Follow Me on Pinterest