What Laura Did: Graduated from University!

Last Friday, July 5 2013, I had one of the best days I've ever had - I graduated from university.

It was such a perfect day - the sun was shining, the drinks were flowing and our families were there to watch my boyfriend and I graduate with a First Class Honours degree each. I didn't even trip up!

At first I was devastated to find out I wouldn't get to wear a traditional mortarboard - still not too sure why! - but once I put on my gown and hood, I forgot all about it. I've never felt so in the moment as that day, knowing that it was the end of my education and the beginning of a whole new life. Everybody moaned about the big, heavy black gowns on such a hot day, but truth be told, I didn't want to hand mine back!


The dress code seemed pretty strict but also pretty boring - to me, white blouse and black skirt sounded like a waitress' uniform, and I wanted something a little prettier for such an important, not to mention photo-filled, day. I got extremely lucky in my dress hunt, and found this navy blue lace pleated dress for just £7! Good old Primark. With all the costs involved in graduating, it certainly came in handy to save some serious pennies on the dress. I was going to wear it with blush pink and rose gold heels, but after some nightmares about tripping up, I decided to play it safe with some demure black suede lace-up heels that have seen me through many a night out without a stumble. Thankfully, I can say they worked!


Excuse the bemused/windswept look of this photo!

It was an utterly gorgeous day, in every aspect. Our university campus is in the countryside of Ayr, situated in a forest with fields and a river flowing past, and it had never looked lovelier than when it was filled with beaming faces and proud parents. Things got even better when we got to the town hall, with its beautiful architecture and filled with fresh flowers for the occasion. We sat down nervously, fretting about tripping up, turning to the wrong person, or holding out the hood the wrong way. As it turns out, none of those things happened, and it went without a hitch.

When my name was called, I remember very clearly focusing on the steps, and then shaking the Chancellor's hand. That's it. Before I knew it, I was holding my diploma and my boyfriend's name was being called - my moment of glory was over and it was his time to shine! This moment is perfectly documented - here's me shaking hands with the Chancellor, while Lewis is waiting in the wings!


After the ceremony was over, we had to walk in a procession through the town - lovely for us, slightly bemusing for the locals, who thought the parade was some kind of Harry Potter convention... I loved the whole pomp and pageantry of the ceremony and the parade, and it made me finally realise just how huge an event this was, and how important it was to me and my life, and the future sprawling out ahead of me. We headed back to the university for a champagne reception, and finished the day with a photo of the Class of 2013 - well done everybody!

(We're graduates of Music, of course there's jazz hands!)


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I just finished my foundation degree and didn't go to my graduation since I'm going to do it all again next year for my BA Hons. Always feel so proud seeing peoples graduation pictures though! Haha, makes me excited for mine! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! :) I'm in my first year of university now but I keep seeing graduation photos and I'm already beyond excited for mine! Haha I love your dress, it's awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Follow on Bloglovin
Follow Me on Pinterest