Birthday Dress!

I promised to share some photos from my 21st birthday party on Saturday night, so here we are!

I was in a bit of a tizz over what to wear; my usual style is very feminine and pretty and sweet, so I wasn't completely taken with the sequin bodycon minidresses that are flooding the high street just now. I did buy something completely out of my comfort zone a while back just for this occasion - a red, sequin birdcage dress with a hooped skirt - but after I tried it on again last week I decided it was just too short and too Jessica Rabbit to let me feel like 'me'.

So I trawled Glasgow's shops without much success, until we went into River Island. I saw my dress on the rail and although I thought it was pretty, I didn't think it would be 'the one', and distinctly remember telling my boyfriend that I was trying it on out of desperation. I spoke too soon! As soon as I zipped it up, I knew it was perfect...




It fits me perfectly, something which rarely happens when buying from the high street. I loved the soft lemon colour, which managed to suit both my dark hair and pale skintone, and I liked that it was quite elegant, retro and feminine, completely bypassing all the tacky offerings we'd already dismissed. I liked the length, and the cute bow cut-outs on the chest, showing just enough flesh to be sexy, but not too much so. My nan will be looking at these photos, after all! And just to top it off, the dress was half price in the sale, down to £25, well within the budget I set myself.

I decided to pair the dress with a skinny black belt from Primark, to match the exposed zip on the back of the dress, and a black pleather envelope clutch from New Look. I'm quite tall at five foot six, and my boyfriend is around five foot eleven, so I struggle to find heels that will still allow me to look considerably smaller than him. It's so difficult to find anything with a heel smaller than four inches!
After a desperate trawl of the shops and the internet, I settled for wearing a pair of old black suede lace-up heels that I bought a few years ago from that fashion haven, Stead and Simpson. You may laugh, but they're very pretty and elegant in a vintage way, and the heel is about three inches (ish). I'm so used to wearing platforms that I stuffed these shoes with memory foam insoles et voila! Comfy shoes, and still shorter than my boy :)

As I touched on before, I had a brilliant night and felt so comfortable in my outfit, something that I think is so crucial to having a good time. I loved that I felt glamorous and dressed up, but I still felt like me!

Do you like my outfit? What will you be wearing to your next big night out?

Laura Jayne xox

5 comments:

  1. You look lovely! The colour of your dress suits you so well! Hope you had a good night!

    www.littlekjf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. you look lovely x

    http://charlotteemilybeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The outfits so cute:) You look really nice x

    ReplyDelete

 
Follow on Bloglovin
Follow Me on Pinterest