Books, glorious books.

I love to read. Books are definitely among my favourite things in the world. Honestly now, not much else gives me greater excitement that a new story, or more satisfaction than reading a wonderful book. My bookshelf is overloading at the moment, and I'm trying to persuade my boyfriend to buy another shelf so I can have one all of my own...

But anyway. Last week I ventured into my local library, my first time in my new area. I need to fill this summer with something and what better than books? But, typically, money is extremely thin on the ground just now and libraries are just fantastic... it's a shame that they're not more commonly used. I came out with a bag full of books, here's what I chose.




Sorry to start on a negative but Metroland, I actually didn't enjoy too much. I think it's possibly something that will appeal more to it's protagonist's peers - that is, young men. It was a bit too flouncy, a bit too try-hard for my taste.

I read After The Fireworks all in one go, yesterday afternoon while I was working. Aldous Huxley's writing is fluid and so irresistible, it really just draws you in and then spits you out at the end; I really found that I couldn't stop reading it. It follows the story of an ageing writer, trying to resist the charms and the persuasion of a pretty twenty-one-year-old fan. Timeless and something I will definitely read again and again.

Jules et Jim  -  I have to say now, please read it. It was glorious; a semi-autobiographical first novel from a 76-year-old Parisian, Henri-Pierre Roche, detailing the youth and life of writer Jim and his strong bond with fellow writer Jules, and how their friendship is almost torn apart when they fall for the same woman, the intense and power-hungry Kate. I read it in about four/five hours, I absolutely couldn't put it down.

The Easter Parade is actually my own book, not from the library, but it was in the pile as I'd just finished it. It's by Richard Yates, one of my favourite authors, who also wrote Revolutionary Road (a stunning book and film). It tells the tale of two sisters and the separate paths they choose and the circumstances that surround them... it's very beautiful and very sad, like the rest of Yates' writing.

The Goddess Guide has been on my shelf for a while now, so when I saw the Goddess Guide 2, I couldn't resist. I wouldn't say it's the best-written book in the world; there are lots of grammatical errors (and if you know me, you'll know how much I hate that...) and sometimes, the writer's personality spills out just a little too much, if you know what I mean. But for perking you up on a wet, grim day, it really does the job. The ideas are just wonderful and the pictures and photos are pretty and inspiring.

Careers & Jobs in the Media speaks for itself right?

We Have Always Lived In The Castle is the book I'm currently on - it's intriguing and mystical and, so far, I'm thoroughly drawn in by it. It tells the story of two sisters and their infirm uncle, living in their own private world, as the surrounding townspeople are afraid and mocking of them, suspicious of the elder sister after she was acquitted of the rest of the family's murder. The writing is enchanting and the story is trickling along beautifully so far - I can't wait to find out what happens!

Last to read is Brighton Rock - I 've heard great things about this and am looking forward to getting stuck in!

I'm always on the hunt for new things to read - what's your favourite book or what can you recommend?

Laura Jayne xox


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Follow on Bloglovin
Follow Me on Pinterest